Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Makin' Aprons

Several weeks ago my BFF, Kathy, suggested that we get together on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and make some fun aprons. In case you don't know, fun aprons are all the rage. They sell them for crazy amounts at many stores around town and on the internet.

So, for the past few weeks I've been looking around for a fun pattern. JoAnn's had just had a big sale and of course we're completely out. See, I told you fun aprons were all the rage. Did you know that patterns cost $15. Yikes! I remember when they were $5 - $6 and I thought that was kinda pricey.

Well, last week I browsed through Wally World and low and behold they had a couple patterns that I liked AND they were on sale. Yipee! So I picked up the patterns and some fabric. Because I'm an over achiever I bought fabric to make 3 of them. They're fully lined and fun.

Here's Kathy working on cutting out her apron. She really liked the fabric I picked out for Nicole so bought some of the same for hers.

Now, you may be wondering why there are canned goods sitting on the fabric. Um, 'cause I'm lazy? See the mat on the counter? That's a cutting mat. You use a rotary (rolling) cutter (it's in Kathy's left hand) to cut out fabric. Generally you use this setup with a ruler and cut straight pieces for quilting. Well, being the inventive and lazy person that I am, I figured out how to cut clothing patterns. I lay out the fabric and place the pattern pieces where I want them. Then, I place canned good along the corners and edges. Then, I just cut out the pattern pieces. I believe they now have pattern weights for this process but hey, free works for me.

Here's Sprout in action working on her her apron. Just for the record, she sewed it all herself. It's been a while since she's done any sewing so I coached her, but she did do it all herself.

Here she is modeling her sexy new apron. Don't you think that if she's wearing that it won't matter if she can cook?
I haven't finished mine yet. You see, the three of us were sharing one sewing machine. I'll post mine later when they're finished, promise.

Project 365 - January 19th

1 comment:

mCat said...

I need a sexy little french maid outfit to ue for my giveaway on the blog. For the contest with the best hooker heels. You know, a sexy apron to wear with your hooker heels?