Sunday, January 18, 2009

Installing the New TV

Remember how I said that it would take some time before the TV was installed due to all the work it would take to get things cleaned out? Um, more deviousness by the kids sped up the process a bit. Here she is...



So, here's what happened. The gang is at the house when I get home from work. They're just hanging out chatting. I get home and start cleaning the kitchen and figuring out what to make for dinner. It occurs to me that the kids are hanging in the Living Room not the Family Room as they usually do. The Living Room is kinda formal, not a "hanging out" kinda room.

I pop out to ask them what they're up to, why aren't they downstairs gaming? That was my biggest mistake. Guess what they said. "We want the new TV". They were moping, I tell you, moping. They were in the Living Room staring at the new TV in it's box and pouting. I cracked like an egg. I'm such a sucker. I uttered one word - fine - and they were off like a shot.

Do you know how hard it is to try to wash dishes, cook dinner and supervise the family room as it's being torn apart all at the same time? Trust me, crazy, absolutely crazy. I would give them instructions, run upstairs and do a few things then run back down again. This went on for an hour or so. The books and "stuff" from the bookcases were sorted into keep and donate boxes. Then, the boys had to move the 2 BIG bookcases and the old TV out into the garage.

Once we got most of the space cleared we were able to mount the TV on the wall. The TV only weighs 44 pounds but the mounting bracket, on the other hand, weighs about 100 pounds. Getting the TV out of the box was kinda funny. Did you know they design the boxes so that you "unlock" them and they slide right off? Who knew? Not me until I read it on the box.

I impressed the boys with my laser level and drill skillz. Said skills are mad. (Dad, that mean really good.) The hardest part was trying to figure out what height to mount the TV. I did buy the bracket that tilts so that you can angle it down if you're sitting on the floor.

The kids were so excited that they could not be bothered to vacumn or anything before they got the PS3 hooked up to it.



We love our new TV. I'm not sure that I'm going to get to spend much time with it anytime soon though.

Project 365 - January 14th

1 comment:

mCat said...

Is this why you took today off? To play with the new TV?