Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Homemade Split Pea Soup


Doesn't this look yummy? And it IS!!! I just realized that I took this photo after I took the ham bone out but before I had removed the ham from it and put the ham back in the soup. It's easy to make, it just has to cook a while. Sprout and the boys chowed down, they liked it too!

Split Pea Soup
1 pound dried split peas
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 or 2 smoked ham hock (about 1/2 pound each)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt


Cover peas with water (make sure the water is about 2 inches or so over the peas as they will swell as they soak up the liquid) and soak overnight. The next day, saute celery, onion, carrot, and garlic in butter until tender. Drain beans and reserve liquid. Add enough water to reserved soaking liquid to make 10 cups. Put in a pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Heat to boiling and then reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer for 3 hours. Remove meat from ham hock and return meat to soup.


Note: I used a ham bone I had leftover from Christmas (Don't worry, it had been in the freezer). I also cooked mine for 5 hours.




Project 365 - January 20th

1 comment:

mCat said...

I'm actually a fan of the split pea soup. I would totally make this but it involves more than 5 items. Yikes! Maybe the Tuffster.