Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Never Ending Story

So, we make it back to the freeway and just as I get merged into traffic Madge starts yelling that we're going the wrong way. What??? Coeur d'Alene is East of Spokane and the compss in the car says we're headed East. What's the problem? Both Sherry and I proceed to tell her that everything's fine. Madge just keeps yelling and is almost hysterical about how we're going the wrong way. I finally had to yell at her and tell her to shut up. I'm driving in the dark and snow on an unfamiliar road and the last thing I need is a crazy person yelling at me from the back seat.

Madge proceeded to wimper and pout from the back seat as I continued driving East, as I should have. Sherry then started telling me all about her ex-husband and his great house in Southern California. More wimpering from Madge. Now she's jealous that Sherry and I are having a conversation without her. (She even admitted this to me the next day.)

When we get back to Athol, Madge and Sherry pulled out the photo albums and old school yearbooks. They had a great time remeniscing. Roman and I hung out and had a great time playing tug-of-war.

When we wake up Saturday morning (we left the bedroom door open so that we weren't human popsicles in the morning) the fog was really heavy. The weather reports said that there was some moisture in the pass and that the fog would burn off in the afternoon. Our original plan was to get up and leave at 4am on Sunday morning. Madge was nervous about the weather and not wanting me to be last for work on Sunday afternonn. You see, I had to close books for the month and needed to be back home by 4pm. Madges anxiety just kept growing as the morning wore on. By the time Sherry got up at 9:30am Madge decided we were leaving.

We went to breakfast at the diner. The girls were much more subdued and better behaved this time.


(Sherry and Madge)

We were filling up gas and hitting the road by 11:30am. It was still quite foggy and overcast but at least there was daylight. When we drove through the passes on our way to Coeur d'Alen it was very dark and I couldn't really see what we were driving through. The weather was quite cooperative. There was some rain in the passes and it did rain almost entirely from Missoula to Butte.

The scenery driving through the passes was gorgeous. Great old buildings and little towns nestled into the trees and the mountains. The clouds were really low and just added to view.

We stopped at a truck stop just outside Butte to get some Linner (it was 4:30 so it was a little late for lunch and early for dinner, hence, linner). Madge wasn't feeling very well. I think some of her ailment was the stress and anxiety of the traveling and spending time with Sherry. So, Madge proceeds to tell the lady at Arbys about what we've been doing and why we're traveling today instead of tomorrow. Anyone seen the trenchcoat and dark glasses? How about a closet I can climb into?

I couldn't keep my mouth shut and had to explain to Madge as we walked back to the car that she didn't need to share our entire life story with a complete stranger. She was upset, but she understood.

Just outside Idaho Falls Madge really started complaining about not feeling well so we stopped and got a room for the night. I had kinda hoped that since we started so early that we could just push through and do the return trip in one day. No such luck.

The best part about stopping for the night? Wifi!!!! Delightful! I was having major withdrawls! I spent the evening surfing and ignoring Madges complaints. At 10:00pm Madge says she wishes she had bought a candy bar. What? You haven't felt good all day and you want to eat a candy bar? You see, we stopped in St Regis and she said she had wanted to pick up a snack but wasn't feeling very good. She wanted a candy bar and I told her she should really get some diet sprite and crackers. I didn't want her to puke in my car. Can you blame me?

So Madge heads to the vending machine to get some sprite to settle her stomach. When we get up in the morning I discover that she had also bought a candy bar. She should have hidden the wrapper and not left it on the night stand. She was pretty sneaky eating it the night before. I just don't understand her, ever. If you want a candy bar then get one and eat it, don't hide it.

The trip from Idaho Falls into Salt Lake was really uneventful. Thank goodness.

So, do you want to know my secret for keeping my sanity through this 1,573 mile, four day adventure? Books on CD. You see, if we're listening to a book, Madge pays attention to the story and tends to talk WAY less than normal. I learned this trick a few years ago and it is very handy for long car trips.

Madge is currently obsessed with the Twilight series. Since we had just seen the movie we started with Full Moon. We made it through all 12 discs and were on the 4th disk of Eclipse by the time we pulled into my driveway. So, if you ever have to travel and long distance with a crazy person, I highly recommend a book on CD.

Thanks for sticking with my through this Never Ending Story that at times felt like the Never Ending Trip. Gee, now what am I going to blog about????

1 comment:

mCat said...

Oh my dear, dear K.
There is not enough therapy in the world to help one get through that freaking ordeal! Seriously.
Maybe Madge should move up there with Sherry, sounds like it would be perfect for BOTH of them.
Bless your ever-lovin, kind heart. I think, had it been me, I would have hidden the body with the TV in the back and then dumped them both in the gorge......
Just.Saying.