Monday, May 4, 2009

Lovely Bracelet and Anklet, don't ya think?


And, it will only cost me about $250. You want a pair also you say? Well, let me help get your own by telling you how I acquired mine.

I was carrying a very large, heavy box in my basement. As I passed a large piece of framed artwork on the wall I bumped it. I guess it banged against the wall enough that the entire picture frame fell completely apart. The sheet of glass fell and hit me in the shankle (shin/ankle). The funny part is I didn't even really feel it hit. I saw that the picture frame had fallen apart but I just kept going 'cause my hands were full. I just thought I'd deal with the broken frame after I got the box to it's destination. I walked another four feet and set down the large box and realized that there was 'something' flowing down my foot.

The basement was dark and as I actually looked at my right leg and foot I realized that something had sliced my leg. Because the blood was really flowing I just dropped my capri pants - yes, it's funny - and used them as a compress on the wound. It took several minutes to get the bleeding under control.

Here's a photo of my pants that Sprout took when she got home from work - before she so kindly 'Spray & Wash'ed the daylights out of them and threw them in the wash.



Amazingly enough, the pants survived the ordeal.

After the bleeding calmed down I made my way back into the family room to retrieve my cell phone. I did leave a blood trail through the basement. It looked like a bit of a crime scene. I then went upstairs to see what I could find to cover my wound so I could head for stitches. Yes, the laceration was large enoungh (2 3/8") that it was obvious that stitches would be needed. Mind you I'm wandering through the house carrying my bloody pants and mopping blood off my leg now and again.

I'd been working on a sewing project for church, so I had scraps of fabric in the kitchen. I mopped the wound off one more time and wrapped some fabric around my leg twice and tied it. It was actually quite fashionable, even with the blood streaked foot. I then headed to my bedroom in search of pants and left my bloody capris on the floor. Grabbed my purse and keys and I was off.

Now, if this injury had occurred an hour earlier I would have headed to an InstaCare, but I had no choice but to head to an ER. I haven't been in an ER for my own care, ever. Nor have I had stitches due to an injury since I was a pretty little kid.

I headed to the ER and LDS Hospital. Since the new larger hospital was built in Murray, I had heard the the ER at LDS Hospital was relatively quiet. After registering, I waited for about 2 minutes. Pretty speedy in my book. My care was going along quite well until a couple pulled up in the ambulance bay as the woman had just given birth in the car. I'm just glad I wasn't her. Even with that diversion, I was only at the hospital for one hour and forty-five minutes so I consider that a success.

Big hugs to Sprout. She took it upon herself to clean up the 'crime scene' when she got home from work. She scrubbed the carpet downstairs and it now looks very nice and no more bloody foot prints in the kitchen either. (hee hee) Love ya Sprout!

Below is a photo of my stitches. If you're queasy, don't scroll down.
















3 comments:

mCat said...

Dammit! I scrolled down! You evcen warned me...... : )

Martha H. said...

That's icky! ha ha ha I'm glad you survived the drama, though.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Started to leave a crazy long comment, but I think I will post it instead. Safe to just say - Narly! A your are a Beast to be able to drive yourself to the ER!
:~D